A recent study from Microsoft shows that the average human attention span is now less than a goldfish. We can certainly thank our irresistible smartphones for this rapid change in our behaviour. As maintaining a person’s attention is key to communicating with them, this trend is creating a new challenge for marketers.
The continued saturation of our content channels, such as social media and online browsing, make it easy to understand why we can’t pay attention. Simply put, there’s too much to pay attention to.
We can’t absorb everything. And so, it’s only the content that stands out that gets our attention.
Enter the importance of video.
The motion and vibrancy of video will always draw our attention over static content. Video has proven to be the most effective type of content across all digital marketing channels.
- Video is the favourite content type of all social media users. (Animoto, 2018)
- Social video gets shared 1200% more than text and images combined. (Wordstream)
- Social media posts with video have 48% more views. (HubSpot)
- Video campaigns on LinkedIn have 50% view rates. (LinkedIn)
- 85% of consumers want to see more video content from brands. (HubSpot)
- It is estimated that the average person will spend 100 minutes every day watching online videos in 2021. (SmartInsights)
The stats present a convincing case for the use of video to grow the effectiveness of your social media. But the importance of video doesn’t end there.
- By 2022, online videos will make up more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic. (Cisco)
- The average user spends 88% more time on a website with video. (Forbes, 2018)
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Insivia)
- 72% of customers would rather learn about a product or service by way of video. (HubSpot)
- A website is 53 times more likely to reach the front page of Google if it includes video. (Insivia)
- Including a video on your landing page can boost your conversion rate by up to 80%. (Unbounce)
- Video increases organic search traffic on a website by 157%. (Conversion XL)
- 96% of people say they’ve watched an explainer video to learn more about a product or service. (Wyzowl)
- Video marketers get 66% more qualified leads per year. (Optinmonster, 2019)
So, what’s stopping you from using video? The stats also show that while 81% of businesses are now using video for marketing, 21% of marketers who don’t currently use video say it’s because they don’t know where to start. We can help.
Thankfully, producing effective video is easier and less costly than it ever has been.
Whether your objective is awareness, engagement, or education, you have many options. The cost and complexity of video range greatly, from low-cost, simple animated or stock videos, to full production projects.
At Rocket Digital, our objective is to make each of our clients’ marketing efforts as impactful as possible. For most, the power of video should play a key role.